Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Bad Case of Lastitis

What is Last-itis you ask? We'll it's constantly thinking that this is the last time you will do thing X. And I can feel a bad case of it coming on. I've got a little more than a month left of this adventure but I only have three more days left at work. Most people would be thinking "F Yeah!" but I've loved my work this year. Not necessarily loved what I do but more so who I do it with and the fact that it's with kids.

My coworkers have been amazing and are a huge reason why I've enjoyed my time in Spain so much. Being able to relate and have real relationships with Spanish people has made me feel just that much more Spanish myself. Likewise, spending lots of time with my Spanish family has led to so many long conversations about the past, the family (which is VERY large), and life in general.

This whole experience has been so refreshing that it pains me to think about giving it up. I seriously get sad thinking about having to say goodbye for good to some of these people - to some of the kids and even some of my coworkers who I may never see again. It's been a while since I've felt like a goodbye was forever because at Princeton you see everyone again, especially those that you want to see again. And high school before that was the same. So saying goodbye to some of these people "me va a dar algo" as they say in Spain (meaning that you'll get choked up kind of).

So my case of Lastitis has started really early and I find myself missing Spain long before I'm even packing my bags.

No comments: