As per usual, the weekend started on Thursday afternoon. After giving a private English lesson, I met up with Manuel to play "Padel" with him and two other friends from our soccer team (Sergio and Ruben). I had never played and had never even seen it played. I was just told it was similar to tennis, which I haven't played in about 17 years. Needless to say, there was a learning curve and it took me a while to pick up the rules and the strategies. A quick youtube search brought up this video which gives you a feeling for how the game should be played. It was not played quite so well. It's a lot like ping pong with a really big table that you stand on. Sort of. Either way, it was fun.
Over the course of the last week, Jessica and I watched the movie Happy Go Lucky. I had never heard of it over here but im sure some of you stateside folks have seen it. It was nominated for an Oscar and won a bunch of random ass international awards. Either way, I thought it was pretty funny and definitely worth seeing. As a movie it's really not much but there are some pretty hilarious parts and is somewhat true-to-life.
Friday was occupied by searching for a place to cut my hair (unseuccessful), a trip to the park, and a trip to the library to return my well overdue books. It's worth mentioning the system of penalties for overdue books in Spain because I find it to be very Spanish. Instead of making you pay a fee and then regain your library priviledges, they suspend your library card for an inordinate amount of time. For books just a month overdue, my card has been suspended until August...nearly 6 months. I find this quirckily Spanish because it makes less work for the library workers and is a much softer punisment than a fine. I guess it's better than Princeton's Public Library policy where they fine you and dont actually make you pay the fine before renting a new book or DVD.
Chris was gone at a frisbee tournament all weekend so Jessica and I prowled the the streets looking for things to do. We found two new bars that were really awesome with a good atmosphere and cheap drinks.
However, the highlight of the weekend was a picnic that Jessica and I organized for my uncle Jorge on Sunday. My aunt Maria Jose and my uncle Jorge both live with my Grandmother. My Grandmother and my aunt went on a cruise with my parents this past weekend so Jorge was left alone to live the life of ease. We hadn't seen him in a while so we siezed the moment and organized a stellar picnic with Spanish tortilla, wine, cheese, strawberries, and more. It was a perfect day and super relaxing.

I appologize for the lack of photos but I am still waiting for my new digital camera to arrive. It's coming over with my aunt and Grandmother tomorrow. In the meantime, we have been using a sketchy disposable camera so get excited for those pics to get developed.
No comments:
Post a Comment