Monday, February 16, 2009

El Dia De Amor

San Valentin was busy this weekend, making everyone in love more in love and everyone not in love... well...more bitter. It was a relatively normal weekend. My aunt Mavi came down to visit from Gijon for the weekend so I spent a fair bit of time with family. On Friday, we ate lunch at my grandmother's house as usual and I ended up staying there and talking for a long time. OH. Speaking of Friday. Here is a little bitter tale...

Chris and I have been attempting to jump through the hoops of securing out Spanish nationality aka birth right. I have personally been to the governemtn office 5 times, each time leaving and thinking "ok at least NOW I know what I need to get in order to get the nationality". Well needless to say, we went again on Friday and came back empty-handed after waiting in line for two hours. Not only do our birth certificates have to be authorized with the Appostille of the Hague from a consulate in the states (already jumped through that hoop), they need to be translated by a sworn and official translator into Spanish. They assured me that, after this, we are done. So let us all wait with baited breath to find out if the next time we waste the entirety of Friday morning we come back feeling just a little more Spanish.

Ok on to San Valentin and his day of love. To start things off, my soccer team got destroyed again, something like 7-2. Oh well..Jessica and I started the night off by cooking some tapas - in particular cherry tomatoes stuffed with a crab meat dip and "buñuelos" which are basically fried balls of cheesy dough and are delicious. After a few glasses of wine, we headed out to a nearby mexican restaurant which has amazing food and pretty damn good drinks. We split a thing of mole enchilidas which arrived impressively quickly for having been cooked in heaven somewhere.

After the mexican restaurant, we went out to a salsa club in the center of the city. The club was packed and the music was really good. For valentine's day the club was playing a game where everyone got a name tag with either the masculine or feminine form of a word and if they found their counterpart they got a free drink. I was "australiano" and, unfortunately I never found the lucky australiana. Jessica and I danced for quite a while and watched some really good people dance for almost as long. It definitely made us feel like we have to start taking dancing lessons. So we will see if we get the motivation to actually do that.

So that was Valentine's Day in a nutshell. (No pictures because we didnt have a camera...woops)

No comments: