Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Big Weekend

Not really.

This weekend was very low key. We had lunch with a bunch of my Spanish family on Saturday but I was too beat after Friday night's festivities to hit the calle again. So Saturday passed uneventfully.

Unfortunately for us, Sunday was not so uneventful. We kicked off the morning with a trip to El Rastro, a huge open air flea market. Jessica haggled with some antique dealer for a while in order to buy some semi-useless trinkets and a set of tea cups. I bought a pair of sunglasses that will undoubtedly be broken by the time you read this. In El Rastro are a bunch of crazy goods. Anything from thongs to irons, one of the thousands of stands probably sells it. To make everything even better, we encountered this crazy gypsy looking lady who was sitting in the middle of the way turning a hand crank on this gypsy-cart looking thing that made music with the turning of the crank. Chris described her as "looking like she should have a monkey on her shoulder". I belive you will agree given the picture. However, after El Rastro, it was all downhill.


The afternoon plan was to go to Ikea. BIG DAY. We were planning on going to Bed Bath and Beyond if we had time...but we didnt. Ikea is a good 50 minute metro ride and then a 15 minute walk. We spent a long time in Ikea buying cheap odds and ends for our apartment and then decided to buy desks and desk chairs. Our landlord was going to reimburse us for the desks and chairs since the apartment was supposed to be "furnished". Long story short, we get to the cashier and they tell us it will be 50 Euros to have the desks etc delivered. Well...we were scared that we wouldnt get reimbursed to we opted to carry everything all the way home. I wish we had brought the camera because it was ridiculous. I cant even begin to describe how long it took or how uncomfortable it was to lug the boxed up furniture and goodies back to the metro, through multiple metro stations, and then back to our apartment. Needless to say, no time for Bed Bath and Beyond...

3 comments:

Ted said...

Now that's just textbook Ryan "I'm way to cheap to pay for any services ever, and prefer to do everything myself, even when the looming task is clearly way over my head, and I don't have any of the necessary equipment to complete it with any sort of competency. Furthermore, I will complain about the reality of the situation and the shittiness of my workaround, but I do not actually regret saving the 50 Euros" Corces-Zimmerman.

Well done, sir.

Missing you guys like crazy. Jay says he shipped me the journal a few days ago, so it will hopefully be in my hands soon.

Ted said...

That's "way too cheap." Stupid Thailand is eroding my immaculate grammar skills. And stupid Blogger doesn't let me edit my comment.

sam g said...

Ikea and Bed, Bath, and Beyond in Spain?! Who woulda thunk it. And of course, a trip to Ikea always manages to consume an entire day.

Way to tell me you started a blog...good thing Tomi showed it to me.